Concrete and asphalt are incredibly durable and cost-effective materials for business parking lots and roads, hence why they’re so popularly used for those purposes. That does not mean, however, that they don’t deteriorate naturally over time with temperature changes, weather conditions, and constant use.
In fact, with the high number of clients, business partners, and visitors coming to modern companies, business-grade paving comes with a higher standard of quality than residential paving. Your concrete paving contractor always considers your use case when designing a project for you.
But even the best-paved roads need maintenance and repairs every now and again. Maybe it’s time for you to contact your concrete paving contractor for repairs that could save you in the long run from future costly damages.
When you hire the services of a professional, here’s what they’re likely to look for when considering a repaving job.
Repair or Overhaul?
Are the damages merely minor wear and tear issues that could easily be repaired? Or is the issue more significant and calling for a new pavement replacement entirely?
Your favored concrete paving company will decide this question based on several factors like the ones we list below.
Age of the Pavement
Modern pavements can last several decades, sometimes up to 40 years depending on the intensity of the traffic and the weather conditions in the area.
With basic repairs, you can double the lifetime of a pavement. However, if your company’s parking lot is at the end of its lifetime, it might be time for a new replacement.
Before filling in potholes or cracks, your concrete paving company will determine which of the many types of damage is present on your lot. Each type calls for its own set of repair procedures.
- Edge cracks: As its name suggests, these are the cracks located near the edge of the road. Repairs involve clearing out the vegetation and debris and applying an asphalt sealant.
- Slippage cracks: The sand found in some asphalt mixtures might have trouble binding with other materials, causing crescent-shaped cracks that require patching to repair.
- Block cracks: Cold temperatures can form rectangular-shaped cracks that call for a new overlay.
- Transverse cracks: Changing temperatures over the year and heavy traffic push and pull at specific parts of the pavement. It’s advised to patch these cracks early, as water can seep in and cause more permanent damage.
- Alligator cracks: The most common type of crack here is caused by a variety of issues. The name comes from the appearance of the pavement, which is cracked like an alligator’s skin. Repairs involve a full-depth patching job.
Effort Required to Repair
Your concrete paving company will weigh the severity of the issues with the cost associated with repairing them. Even seemingly small issues, for instance, may be signs of larger underlying problems. Since concrete paving is often done in layers, a top-layer repair can still be viable as long as the lower levels remain undamaged.
Concrete Paving Company | Melrose Paving | Mississauga – Toronto & the GTA
Looking for a concrete paving company that you can trust? Melrose Paving has been covering commercial clients with asphalt and concrete paving projects for many years. We serve the entire Mississauga and Toronto area, so get in touch with us as soon as you can.
- A massive decision for concrete paving contractors is whether to repair small issues in the pavement or build an entirely new layer.
- The decision comes down to the severity of the issues, the preferences of the client, and the resources required for repair.
- Find out the best option for your business by contacting Melrose Paving today.